Even the most experienced truck drivers may not know some of these fun facts, and the truth is we could all afford to learn something new. See what new things you can learn by taking a look at our list of Freight Fun Facts. Bet you can’t say that 3 times fast.
1. The world’s longest semi-truck is the Red Giant.
The Red Giant is 93 feet long and has been traveling the roadways for almost 40 years.
2. Semi-trucks need about 40% more time to stop than cars.
Rear-end collisions and underride incidents are usually the result of truckers not having enough time to stop.
3. The fastest industry truck is the Iron Knight by Volvo.
The Iron Knight has set records with its 500 meters run in 13.710 seconds.
4. Around 70% of all goods in the U.S. are delivered by semi-trucks.
The largest commodities transported are agricultural and building materials.
5. The United States has nearly 3.5 million truck drivers.
Professional truck driving is a popular profession, despite it requiring a great amount of time and devotion.
6. Professional truck drivers across America drive more than 400 billion miles per year.
According to American Trucking Associations (ATA), it is estimated that the trucking industry hauls more than 10 billion tons of freight annually.
7. The engines of semi-trucks are typically 6 times larger than car engines.
Truck engines are also designed to go 1,000,000 miles.
8. There is an average of 500,000 truck accidents every year.
Sixty-eight percent of all fatal truck accidents happened in rural regions.
9. Commercial trucks consume about 50 billion gallons of diesel fuel and gasoline annually.
Commercial trucks typically all have diesel engines with about 40% efficiency.
10. There are about 15.5 million commercial trucks in the U.S.
If they all lined up bumper to bumper, they would reach right to the moon. Of those operating semi-trucks 1/3 of them are registered in California, Florida, and Texas.
TruckLogics is here for you! Sign up for a 15 free trial with TruckLogics and see just how much money you’ll save! There’s no obligation and no strings attached.