Don’t worry, TruckLogics is here to help by answering frequently asked IFTA questions so you can quickly complete returns and get back on the road.
Frequently Asked IFTA Questions
Now if you’re a TruckLogics user then all of your miles from your trip sheets and fuel expenses have been totaled up in quarterly IFTA reports. You can use these reports to quickly enter your calculations on your return. They can also be printed or emailed to go anywhere they need to. Now let’s dive into some frequently asked IFTA questions.
1. What information is required to complete my return?
To complete your IFTA return you need to enter your:
- Total miles (including non-taxable miles) traveled per jurisdiction.
- Gallons of fuel used and purchased per jurisdiction
- The tax paid on all of your fuel purchases
- And the current tax rate per jurisdiction.
2. Who is required to complete an IFTA return?
The operator of a qualifying vehicle who travels between two or more jurisdictions (states) must file a quarterly IFTA in order to comply with the law and to get their IFTA license and decals.
3. What vehicles qualify for IFTA?
A qualifying motor vehicle for IFTA includes any motor vehicle or a combination of vehicles used, designed, or maintained for the transportation of people or property and have:
- Two axles and a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds
- Two axles and a registered weight exceeding 26,000 pounds
- Three or more axles, regardless of weight
- A combination weight exceeding 26,000 pounds.
4. Do I need to keep my IFTA decals on my vehicle?
Yes. Your IFTA decals need to be clearly displayed under your driver’s side window. Don’t place it on windows, mirrors, tanks, or vents. If they aren’t properly displayed you may be written a citation, required to get a trip permit, or both. Also, be sure to carry your IFTA license in your vehicle at all times, because you’ll be subject to facing the same penalties without it.
5. What happens if my IFTA return is late?
If your IFTA return is late, you fail to file or don’t pay the full amount of taxes you owe then you will be subject to a fee of $50 or 10% of your taxes due, depending on which is greater. You’ll also be subject to the penalties imposed by your base jurisdiction. Interest on the amount of tax due will also accrue at a rate of 1% per month.
We’re here to help! If you have any questions regarding the IFTA deadline please don’t hesitate to contact the dedicated TruckLogics support team at 704.234.6005 Monday – Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM EST. We’re also available via live chat and offer 24/7 email support at [email protected].