What you will need:
- An electric skillet or crock pot
- a knife to core the apple
- a spoon
- Fully cooked, pre-sliced turkey breast, or ham
- 2 fresh vegetables ( I used carrots and green beans) *you really want to choose fresh vegetables because canned veggies have a lot of additives that are not good for you.
- a can of Coke or Dr.Pepper
Only if you want to list:
- pre-diced onions to add on top of the green beans
* I used an electric skillet, so that is what I will be referencing, but a crock pot would work the same way.
Set the temperature to a low-medium heat. And while that is heating up, you want to core the apple and wrap it in foil, leaving the top open.
Drizzle honey and sprinkle cinnamon in the center of the apple.
Let's Get Cooking:
The turkey breast I got is about a pound. It will be enough for 2 people plus leftovers to make sandwiches the next day (bonus!).
In your pre-heated skillet, place the turkey breast in the center, then place the apple in. Next throw in your veggies.
Now that's it for the cooking, but wait we haven't added the secret ingredient. To give everything a nice flavor and to keep the turkey moist, I pour in half a can of Coke. If you have never cooked with soda before, trust me it is delicous. Your food won't taste like Coke, I promise, but it will have a sweet and savory effect on the food.
After you pour in the Coke, just put on the lid and let it cook on lo-medium heat for about an hour, then you can just turn it on down to simmer and eat when you're ready.
It will look like this....Yummmmm
Super easy right? Everyone here in the office, couldn't believe how simple it was. Every ingredient can be found at any grocery store and you can mix things up the way you want. All in all this meal is actually pretty healthy, besides the Coke. I hope you enjoy this heart warming meal and have a Happy Thanksgiving.